[CS-FSLUG] NI: 3 Women Sentenced To Prison In Indonesian Muslim Controled Court

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Oct 4 15:32:06 CDT 2005

INDONESIA  (Compass Direct)

 Three women accused of "Christianization" have appealed the September 1st
conviction handed down by an Indonesian court. Rebekka Zakaria, Eti Pangesti
and Ratna Bangun were sentenced to three years in jail after members of the
Muslim Clerics Council (MUI) in Indramayu district, West Java, accused them
of trying to convert Muslim children. The judges pronounced the Sunday school
teachers guilty of breaching Indonesia's 2002 Child Protection Act, saying
they had used "deceitful conduct, a series of lies and enticements to seduce
children to change their religion against their wills." At the final court
session, one of the Muslim protestors said that Islamic organizations would
continue campaigning against Christian activity and "illegal" churches in the
district of Indramayu in coming months.

 Give thanks to God for these women whose faith gives them peace with God
through Jesus Christ. Pray for opportunities to boldly share their overcoming
faith with others. Pray the judges determining the outcome of their appeal
will not be intimidated by Muslim extremists.

to you, at this time.