[CS-FSLUG] NI: As bad as gov't is here (we think), it's NOTHING like Pakistan!!!

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Oct 4 15:39:16 CDT 2005

PAKISTAN  (VOM-Canada)

 A Christian woman has accused three men of repeatedly raping her earlier this
month and attempting to force her to convert to Islam, according to a
September 27th report from Compass Direct. Testifying in court on September
22nd, Ribqa Masih (22) said Ghulam Abbas and Mohammad Kashif drugged her on
September 2nd and took her to Lahore, approximately 100 km from her home.
Upon arrival, she was repeatedly raped throughout the night. They threatened
to kill her and her family if she did not recite the Islamic creed, which
would have been considered an official conversion to Islam. She refused,
saying she would rather die than renounce her faith. The next morning she was
handed over to another man who was supposed to take her home. Instead, he
raped her several times over the next three days. Finally on September 6th
she was finally left at a bus stop in Faisalabad Ribqa hired a rickshaw to
take her to her uncle's home where she called her parents. Only one man,
Abbas, has been taken into custody, and he denies the charges. Ribqa still
has difficulty walking because of her injuries. Many girls do not report
rapes because of the impact on their family honor, which often is a matter of
life and death in Pakistan. "Nobody wants to marry these girls, even though
they are innocent," said Khalil Tahir, Masih's lawyer. Father Paschal Paulus,
her priest, credits the family for their willingness to stand with Ribqa. Her
six younger siblings have been forced to leave school because of taunts and
threats. The family has also been threatened by Muslim neighbors if they do
not drop the charges.

 Pray God will send His holy angels to protect this family. Pray the Lord will
give them courage and confidence in the Rock of their salvation. Pray God
will work a miracle of His loving compassion to bring these men to
repentance.

to you, at this time.