[CS-FSLUG] Wireless, smb and Windows

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 01:52:21 CST 2005

It seems my attempts until just an hour ago have reduced the problem, but
not gotten rid of it. I tried the router with wireless disabled and all of a
sudden the problem was gone for good. I then tried switching the router to
G-Mode only and re-enabling the wireless and it worked perfectly.

I'm not sure what to make of this, keeping a close eye on the logs shows
that there is no one getting into my wireless network, so I suspect the
nearby 802 networks are causing interference. I have noted that a few
networks around here blast through at a stronger power than my own router is
set at to give me full coverage of the house, and many of those networks
appear to originate from places that are anywhere from a few houses away to
the "cityfire" network which if originating from the fire dept as I suspect,
is then several blocks away.

Does anyone have any more input on this, I'm curious as to whether other
802.11 devices could be causing trouble, or perhaps other wireless devices
such as cordless phones which can also function on 2.4 Ghz don't they? I
really don't know much about electricity beyond what I learned in physics 20
last year.

Is it possible someone is intentionally being malicious and interfering with
my network, some kid on the block doing a DoS attack for fun maybe? As long
as they aren't in the network they won't show up in the router logs, I
assume there are other ways of causing trouble on a wireless network without
actually having to be connected to it. When I was working at Staples the
computer associates often told customers that 2.4 Ghz phones and routers
interfered with each other when one of the two items was being returned,
should I be considering that? And if it's a problem why do routers and
phones both only come capable of using that one frequency?