[CS-FSLUG] Wireless, smb and Windows

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Tue Nov 15 21:31:36 CST 2005

Nathan T. wrote:
> After some frustrated experimentation I found out that there was an option
> on the router to block pings from inside the wan, I chose that option and

WAN?  Do you mean WAN (Wide Area Network - usually referring to the
Internet) or W-LAN (Wireless Local Area Network)?  Are the pings coming
from the Internet or the wireless net?

[snip]

> Port 7 is echo correct?

Yes, but what is using this port?

> What port is used for ping?

None.  Ports are only meaningful with TCP and UDP.  Ping is ICMP and
ICMP doesn't use ports.

> Would there be any consequences to blocking those ports?

Probably not.

> Any other ports I should consider closing off from the internet?

All of them.  Routers usually allow related traffic back in from allowed
outgoing connections.  I would block all traffic being initiated from
outside unless I was running a local server (e.g. webserver or such).

The correct question to ask is not "what should I close off?", but "what
should I allow?".

sjm