[CS-FSLUG] OT: THE EU VOTE....GOOD article.

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Jun 4 07:16:26 CDT 2005

Raphaël Pinson wrote:

> I don't really mind that the US are not really democratic as long as it stays
> inside their country. What I mind more is that they seem to always think they
> know what is good for others in their place. If they can't keep a democracy
> inside their own country, they'd better not think about helping people set
> one.
>
> Sorry for all this, but I couldn't let such a false info go on...

I am among those who struggle to break away from the mainstream press,
which often acts more an arm of the governing class than a source of
real information here in the US. I realize I will often find "outsider"
sources with their own slant, but at least I get a different point of
view. But, do you know how hard it is to find a non-American viewpoint
in clear English?

As a historian I recognize several things you wrote as fact, though I
may not buy your conclusions from those facts. Still, the Muslim
presence in Europe is hardly a simple issue of cultural invasion
starting last year, any more than our oft-noted "invasion" from Mexico.
So-called news reports often ignore that. OTOH, there are some elements
of modern immigration that are not what they used to be. For example,
while I was stationed with the US Army in the Netherlands, there was a
long-standing refugee transition center just a km away. In 1992, for the
first time ever, one came down to enlist with the US Army, because he
said the Dutch were having trouble placing him in work. Even though we
had to turn him away, they now come to that small base every week. An
anecdote, but the Dutch K-Mar told us it was a sign of the times.

I hope you and others in Europe take the time to react, or even post
your own "NI" items that are tangents to what we discuss here. For me,
it's quite a loss to no longer have access to English-language reports I
could trust, because they aren't available online. I have yet to
identify new ones I can trust.

--
Ed Hurst