[CS-FSLUG] Thin clients

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 08:37:53 CST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:33:42 -0800, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking that the main reason I was interested in acquiring
> a Mac Mini was to allow me to do some silent computing rather than
> have a noisy desktop sitting next to me all the time.  Thus, to save a
> little bit of cash, I've been investigating terminals instead.
> Basically I'm looking for something with no moving parts able to act
> as an X-terminal as well as an RDP client (yes, I have a windows xp
> pro box kicking around)

Have you looked at the LTSP?  I think you would need a little more
than a thin client by itself for college.  If you brought along
something as a "server" then it would be ok.  Reaching back through
the net to "home" would work ok, except when Mr. Murphy pays a visit.
It will be when a paper is due, and something will happen and you
won't be able to reconnect to "home".

If you want small and quiet, have you looked at things like the
Shuttles and mini boxes like that?  I just can't see shelling out the
money that Apple wants for minor upgrades to the Mini, even after the
price drop.  I think I'll be sticking with x86 for now.

Brad