[CS-FSLUG] Thin clients

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:00:39 CST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:37:53 -0500, Bradly McConnell
<bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:33:42 -0800, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you looked at the LTSP?  I think you would need a little more
> than a thin client by itself for college.  If you brought along
> something as a "server" then it would be ok.  Reaching back through
> the net to "home" would work ok, except when Mr. Murphy pays a visit.
> It will be when a paper is due, and something will happen and you
> won't be able to reconnect to "home".

Indeed it might be an issue... but the university I attend is close
enough that I can save the money and stay at "home".  So, I've got a
reasonable amount of equipment here - and shouldn't really have to
worry about network connection issues.

> If you want small and quiet, have you looked at things like the
> Shuttles and mini boxes like that?  I just can't see shelling out the

I was originally thinking of trying to do something with a fanless
mini-ITX board, but it's tough to beat a cheap terminal off of eBay in
terms of cost.

David