[CS-FSLUG] Thin clients

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 04:33:42 CST 2005

I've been thinking that the main reason I was interested in acquiring
a Mac Mini was to allow me to do some silent computing rather than
have a noisy desktop sitting next to me all the time.  Thus, to save a
little bit of cash, I've been investigating terminals instead.
Basically I'm looking for something with no moving parts able to act
as an X-terminal as well as an RDP client (yes, I have a windows xp
pro box kicking around)

Are there any real memory/processor speed constraints that I need to
worry about considering that I'd be running it solely as a terminal?
The Winterm 3350SE that I'm investigating has a 200Mhz processor and
somewhere between 8 and 24 megs of RAM.

I've uncovered a place selling some Winterm 3350SE terminals for about
$25CDN, including shipping, and I'm wondering how well these would
work with Linux (assuming that they would work at all).  The data
sheet (I've yet to find a manual) doesn't list Linux or X, but, on the
other hand, neither did the data sheet for an NCD terminal (more $$$,
and I'd need to buy a bunch at once), for which a little bit of
googling turned up some quick and easy instructions for.

Basically I'm looking at pairing thing up with an LCD monitor - either
17" or 19" -  (and perhaps air conditioner depending on the weather)
to make life a little easier when heading back to school this summer.

David