[CS-FSLUG] A Grand Pipe-dream Proposal

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 28 23:33:56 CST 2005

Ed Hurst wrote:

[snip]

> As a motive, consider all the Christian users around the world who
> can't afford the latest and greatest hardware, but use 486s and such.
> Are they doomed to a world of DOS/Windoze, or the current massive
> learning curve to catch up with our power users? How about a distro
> that will embrace the 3rd world! :-)

Perhaps this article might be of interest, its brief and really doesn't
mention what application the author really things FreeDOS has for use on
workstations but its still proof that someone out there sees DOS as
still being useful today. As I recall there were also word processors
for DOS as well as basic predecessors to what we now know as Office
suites. The article is at
http://os.newsforge.com/os/05/01/20/1923226.shtml?tid=16 and you can
find more information on FreeDOS at http://www.freedos.org/ . I know its
proprietary, outdated and really nowhere near as useful as a current
Linux distribution would be even without X11 but its still interesting.

[snip]

> If nothing else, pray for me. I'm willing to raise money for hosting so
> this project has a chance. If this thing dies at the starting gate, I'm
> willing to wear the egg on my face. I'll play the front man plus write
> the documentation.

More power to you Ed! I know of lots of people who could use something
like this and I think its something that has been an obvious need for a
long time despite public neglect. I'd rather see old computers be
recycled into basic workstations rather than see them wind up in a
landfill. If you really want this project to take off get it on a well
read news site such as Slashdot, or maybe write an introduction to
you're idea and ask Tim if he will put it up on OfB.

[snip]

--
http://celerate.blogspot.com/