[CS-FSLUG] A Grand Pipe-dream Proposal

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jan 28 10:30:44 CST 2005

On Thu January 27 2005 9:01 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Brothers and Sisters!
>
> You may be aware that at least one of our list members is a
> console-only user. Despite the difficulty, he's been getting along just
> fine. However, he is working at a from a power-user position. Is it
> possible to create a Linux that fairly ordinary users could adopt that
> has no GUI? How about just an advanced framebuffer?

'Don't know......never considered it.

> There are some important applications missing, primarily a console word
> processor. How often have I heard that lamented in my 8 years using
> Linux/BSD? How did we get short-changed on that? Some applications
> claiming to be for the console are actually for Xterm and friends, and
> won't work properly without X.

[snip]

'Right, Ed.....seems that if you only have console, you're stuck with pico and
other editors.

I don't know how much such a version is really needed, that is, how much
demand and how much effort is there to produce it.

Fred

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."