[CS-FSLUG] Re: Mac mini as a Wireless repeater?

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Jan 15 00:20:30 CST 2005

> I've read a number of articles on this machine and I've seen a fair
> number of
> reviews,

	Just keep in mind that no one outside of Apple actually has these
boxes yet, so the reviews are only based on what everyone is reading on
Apple's site.

> some things I don't like much are the absence of a line-in and
> microphone plug on it despite it having other nonessential features
> like

	You can get a USB line-in adapter for $30, IIRC.

> bluetooth support built in.

	It is not built-in unless you order it with it, although I'd argue
that Bluetooth is on the way to being as essential as USB.

> If you do try one of those Tim I would love to hear your opinion on it,
> especially if you try the low end $499 one without any speed upgrades
> and
> have some comment on the performance.

	I'm hoping to. I can tell you right now it should be just fine, speed
wise, especially if you up the ram to 512 megs. I don't have any
experience with the 1.25 GHz G4, but I do with the 1.33 GHz and it is
quite fast and works well even with only 256 megs of ram. The 1.25 GHz
model actually has more cache, so in some situations, it might be
faster. The 1.42 GHz ($599) box is probably a better value, but I think
you'd be pleased even with the base model.

	I'm hoping to get my hands on one of these for a review in the next
few weeks.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |