[CS-FSLUG] God Didn't Say That (genetic link)

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Fri Jan 14 01:17:56 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 22:13 -0800, Jerry VanBrimmer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:05:00PM -0500, Don Parris wrote:
> > Biblical counseling pioneer, Jay Adams, addressed this very issue in
> > his book, "Competent to Counsel".  [WARNING: Some of this may be a
> > little off base, due to the length of time since I covered this
> > material - will have to doublecheck it later.] There he lays the
> > argument that our actions, repeated over a lengthy period of time,
> > become part of our "phusis", so as to become a part of our very
> > nature.  I forget the scriptural reference(s).  Adams also promoted
> > what has been a recurring theme in our discussion, namely the idea
> > that change is possible.  We could revisit the rich young ruler/eye of
> > the needle - all things are possible... with God.
>
> I have always believed that to be true, but I never had any evidence for
> it. How else could it be that scientists have found that alcholics have
> a unique gene? (At least that's what I've heard)  Given enough time, your
> lifestyle can alter your very
> core nature. How else could you explain the fact that Adam's
> decendent's lifespans grew increasinly shorter? Their very genetic
> nature was altered by their lifestyle of sin.
>
> I have that book somewhere, I'll have to dig it out and reread it.
> Thanks for the reminder Don.

You're more than welcome.  I used Adams' approach when counseling a
couple when I was Christian Ed. Minister.  They had spent something like
9 out of 10 years of their marriage separated (but not divorced).  Both
were on drugs/alcohol.  At the time of our counseling, they were back
together and coming clean from the mess.  She was already clean.  He was
still working on it.  In the end, I got to see them renew their wedding
vows.

I still use the Nouthetic approach.  I've got a number of his books on
counseling.  I can probably still find how to order them.  His Theology
of Christian Counseling is pretty good.  The Christian Counselor's
Medical Desk Reference" is another good tool.  I'll have to see if it
says anything on homosexuality.

Blessings,
Don