TD: Re: [CS-FSLUG] God Didn't Say That

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Mon Jan 10 14:35:19 CST 2005

David M. wrote:

>>A better analogy would be something like:
>>
>>Let's say that I had a broken arm with a cast on it.  Now, if I later
>>take that cast off of my arm and walk around without it would I be
>>living a lie?  Well, it all comes down to whether or not my arm was
>>actually healed before I take that cast off of my arm.
>>
>>If God healed my arm and I DON'T take that cast off then I would be
>>living a lie.  If my arm were NOT healed and I took that cast off then I
>>still would be living a lie.  BUT if God healed my arm and I take that
>>cast off then I would NOT be living a lie, but be a living testimony of
>>the power of God to heal.
>>
>>I leave it to the reader to make the proper application in the current
>>discussion.
>>

> IMHO, this isn't a good analogy. A broken arm doesn't even come near the
> emotional trauma one suffers from being different.
>
> Understand what im saying?
>
> I think the women on this list can relate to this in a huge way.
>
> Having said that, my whole point in my anology meant that has anyone here ever
> thought that this man chose to hide his lifestyle again to escape from the
> emotional trauma and persecution so he could be fully accepted and loved by
> the people he holds dear to him?

I still think it's a good analogy.  No analogy is perfect, but is used
to illustrate.  My analogy was used to illustrate the healing power of
God and a change happening.  Your analogy and response imply that one
can't change from being homosexual to heterosexual.  I believe that God
can change people!  (Praise Him!!)

To change my analogy to your situation would read something like:

Let's say that I am hard of hearing and need to wear a hearing aid.
Now, if I later take that hearing aid off and walk around without it
would I be living a lie?  Well, it all comes down to whether or not my
hearing was actually healed before I take the hearing aid off.

If God healed my hearing and I DON'T take the hearing aid off then I
would be living a lie.  If my hearing were NOT healed and I took the
hearing aid off then I still would be living a lie.  BUT if God healed
my hearing and I take the hearing aid off then I would NOT be living a
lie, but be a living testimony of the power of God to heal.

Is that one better?  I didn't try to bring in any emotional baggage.
Growing up we all have to learn to cope with what makes us different
(hearing aid, thick glasses (me), being skinny (me), being fat, being
geeky (me), being extremely quiet and shy (me, again), etc.).  With
God's help we can get past all this!  (Praise Him!!)

sjm