[CS-FSLUG] God Didn't Say That

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Thu Jan 6 15:39:56 CST 2005

> To me and perhaps the larger majority of Christians "The Bible teaches
> us to
> love God and neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40), and to allow
> the Holy Spirit to develop within us the qualities of love, joy, peace,
> patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and
> self-control
> (Galatians 5:22-23).

	There is a difference between loving someone and trying to make the
case that a given behavior is good, honorable, lovely, etc. (Phil. 4:8)
"'All things are lawful for me,' but not all things are profitable.
'All things are lawful for me,' but not all things build up" (1 Cor.
10:23).

> When children, youth and adults embody these values, regardless of
> sexual
> orientation, we are growing into the whole people God hopes we will
> become.
> You or I may hyperfocus on a person's sexual orientation, but God
> loves the
> sum of all of our parts."

	To an extent I agree. I've gone on the record saying that we ought to
love homosexuals, that we ought to reach out to them, etc. BUT, I say
this because we should reach out to all sinners. I'm a sinner as well.
At the same time, WE SHOULD NOT attempt to distort the Bible to argue
that what they are doing is not sin. What we should do, is lovingly
help them show the fruits of the Spirit and escape sin... just like I
hope others do for me.

	Remember, "Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead in itself."
(James 2:17). We know that it is "by grace you have been saved through
faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works,
that no one would boast" (Ep. 2:8, 9). How we reconcile this is clear:
we are not saved by works, but we should seek to do good works as fruit
of the Spirit -- a sign of our salvation. If someone cannot tell the
new me from the old me, what kind of witness am I giving? Therefore,
the church *should* recognize and attempt to encourage Christ's body to
be pure. The problem is not that some people's sin is homosexual
activity but that people are trying to argue that this is not a sin.
These are two different things. The only way we can come to God with
repentance and faith is if we honestly seek to repent.

	Let me put it like this. One of the things I struggle with is
coveting. I find it easy to get wrapped up in the things of the world
and want them. Could I attempt to justify that away and say I just want
to enjoy what God has made available? Sure! Should I? No! It is much
better for me to avoid rationalizing things away so that I can go on
doing them. "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that
grace may abound? May it never be!" (Romans 6:1-2a)

> In my mind simply put God's son came to earth to love, heal, and
> forgive. The
> bible does not condemn homosexual's but does condemn homosexual sex
> and other
> sexual practices as part of the religious service. Remember that
> homosexual
> and heterosexual sex was a part of most of the predominate religions
> at the
> time Christianity was starting and Christians wished to distants
> themselves
> from the other religions of the time. With One God and no sex.

	That's a very dangerous train of thought that leads to explaining away
most of the Bible if one is not careful (not that you are, just a
friendly reminder). Are these restrictions merely a knee-jerk reaction
to other religions or is it the law of the one True God? Is
Christianity a faith invented by men or is it of God?

> In our Judeo-Christian society, the documents known as the Bible serve
> as the
> primary guide on most issues. It is interesting that many Christians
> take
> literally the references to homosexual acts while interpreting other
> text
> with great flexibility.

	This has to do with lit criticism. You can tell by the context, the
wording, etc. Form Criticism, in particular deciphers, based on the
language used, what type of text we are dealing with -- poetic, mythic,
historical, parable, etc. Thus, we can say the Psalms should not be
read as good historical sources -- they are poetry, not a book of
history. Luke's Gospel, on the other hand, is very much intended to be
history and follows the form of other historians.

	Now, a lot of people say, but wait a minute! In the Old Testament, the
rules on mixing types of fabrics, prohibition of being around women
during their "period" and other oft ignored rules are right next to the
prohibition on homosexual activity! And, yes, that's true. But, we are
under the New Covenant. Paul also prohibits homosexual activity, which
is part of the reason we can argue it is wrong.

	The other issue, is that Paul argues from the standpoint of sin;
Deuteronomy is concerned a lot with ceremonial cleanliness. Somethings
relating to ceremonial cleanliness may not be sinful (i.e. I do not
personally feel it is sinful for me to eat ham), others may relate to
sin (i.e. murdering someone will make you unclean and also sinful).
Ceremonial cleanliness is of no concern to one in the New Covenant, but
sin always is. Why do I want to nail more sins on to that cross than I
have to?

>  And I some times grow weary of the flood of FUD on
> this subject and others that is produced by a single person and simply
> wish
> on occasion to remind the list and the world that this FUD is not the
> majority christian view. Causing fear, hatred, and division is not the
> christian ethic or way.

	Hatred is different than disagreement. If the Christian community did
not oppose homosexuality, it would open a floodgate in America and
elsewhere because there would be no counterbalance to the extremely
powerful liberal/homosexual lobby.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |