[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Mail Clients

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Oct 27 00:16:11 CDT 2004

Timothy R. Butler wrote:

>> KHTML has been ported to GTK, Gecko has been ported to Qt,
>> interestingly enough somehow here KDE and Gnome managed to almost
>> swap rendering engines :-p , KHTML is so superior though that it'll
>> never need replacing :-) .
>

>     I have my doubts about that, although it is quite good. I'd love
> to see KHTML merge with Gecko to unify the FOSS browsers. Gecko does
> appear ready to pull far ahead and start eating Microsoft's lunch. Go
> Firefox!

I hope they don't merge, Gecko is too heavy to merge with KHTML, the
result would be more Gecko (what I don't want) and almost no KHTML (what
I like). Besides that competing technology and software makes for better
products in the end

>> I'll believe you when you learn C and the (awful) GTK toolkit ;-)
>> One look at the GTK interface for C or C++ depending on which one is
>> worse and you'll never want anything other then KDE and Qt again :-) .
>

>     Nah. If I was going to, I'd probably learn C# and GTK# first

Sounds like a plan, Gnome needed the adoption of C# to replace the C
language which is more complicated, difficult and aged then is necessary
for most desktop applications, one thing you will find though like with
all young programming languages it will have a number of unexpected
behaviours at first and will often change possibly even becomming
incompatible with previous versions until the developers all know
exactly what direction they want to go in.

> , but in actuality, I'll probably do that about the same time a
> certain rather unsavory location drops below freezing.

The creativity in this list never ceases to amuse me, truly Tim you have
a way with words :-) .

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/