[CS-FSLUG] Slackware Roadblock

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Oct 25 14:38:53 CDT 2004

Problem solved, I had to remove one of the child panel I had placed on the top
of the screen, with it gone the icons are now where they should be and only
one gets knocked out of place which isn't even worth notice. I'm liking
Slackware so far, I like how minimalist it how its literally as easy to get
and install software in Slackware as it was in Windows, I can actually feel
comfortable compiling software from source in Slackware because it doesn't
make a stink if it thinks I don't have a certain dependency that I actually
compiled from source.

When the next version of Slackware comes out I hope they have KDE working
properly and have switched over to the 2.6 kernel, right now I'm not feeling
like tinkering with something I don't need to such as upgrading the kernel
because it works and I don't want to break it, unfortunately that probably
means that as soon as I want to burn a CD I'll have to set up LILO to start
it up with ide-scsi emulation for my burners but I don't watch DVD's anyway
so I shouldn't have too much trouble living with that for a while.

Thanks Jerry Van Brimmer for letting me know about the linuxpackages.net
forums :-) .

If there is one thing I have to say about Slackware its that I do actually
find it faster than Mandrake, my music doesn't skip any more when I'm
installing a package :-) .