[CS-FSLUG] Slackware Roadblock

Jerry Van Brimmer jerryvb at verizon.net
Tue Oct 26 18:17:57 CDT 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 12:38, N. Thompson wrote:
> Problem solved,

Great!

> I had to remove one of the child panel I had placed on the
> top of the screen, with it gone the icons are now where they should be and
> only one gets knocked out of place which isn't even worth notice. I'm
> liking Slackware so far, I like how minimalist it how its literally as easy
> to get and install software in Slackware as it was in Windows, I can
> actually feel comfortable compiling software from source in Slackware
> because it doesn't make a stink if it thinks I don't have a certain
> dependency that I actually compiled from source.

That's true, but it will also let you install packages *without* checking for
dependencies. There is a tool for slackware called slapt-get, I believe it
will do dependency checking. Eduardo, correct me here if I'm wrong. Yes, it
does do dependency checking, see the README at this site:
http://software.jaos.org/#slapt-get

> When the next version of Slackware comes out I hope they have KDE working
> properly and have switched over to the 2.6 kernel,

The 2.6.x kernel comes with the 10.0 CD set. It's on CD2, in the testing
folder. I tend to trust Patrick on this one and stay with the 2.4 kernel. It
does all that I need.

> right now I'm not
> feeling like tinkering with something I don't need to such as upgrading the
> kernel because it works and I don't want to break it, unfortunately that
> probably means that as soon as I want to burn a CD

K3B is included on Slackware CD3, in the extra folder. I've been using it, it
works flawlessly on my system.

> I'll have to set up LILO
> to start it up with ide-scsi emulation for my burners but

Easy as pie:
1) add this to lilo.conf:

# Start LILO global section
append="hdd=ide-scsi"   <-- adjust this for your burner
boot = /dev/fd0   <-- I use a floppy to boot with

(Just to be sure anyone who reads this understands: do NOT include my comments
including and after the < in lilo.conf.)

2) put a formatted floppy in fd0
3) run this: # lilo -b /dev/fd0

This will create a lilo boot disk for you.

> I don't watch
> DVD's anyway so I shouldn't have too much trouble living with that for a
> while.

I don't either.

> Thanks Jerry Van Brimmer for letting me know about the linuxpackages.net
> forums :-) .

You're welcome. It feels good to be able to help.

> If there is one thing I have to say about Slackware its that I do actually
> find it faster than Mandrake,

That was also my first impression of Slackware, it was faster than ANY other
distro I had tried.

> my music doesn't skip any more when I'm
> installing a package :-) .

Good!

God bless!

--
The KING is coming!..................Rev. 1:7
Linux User #153217..................http://counter.li.org