[CS-FSLUG] Firewall in Slackware

Jerry Van Brimmer jerryvb at verizon.net
Sat Oct 23 23:56:10 CDT 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 23:25, N. Thompson wrote:
> Right now I have Slackware up and running, I've got Xorg configured to
> use the NV drivers until I have the commercial nvidia drivers installed
> and my sound card doesn't work yet so I'll probably have to compile the
> drivers for that too. Right now though what I need help with is finding
> and setting up a firewall, I want something that will be easy to set up
> such as the Mandrake firewall or that one Xandros uses but I would
> prefer something that integrates very nicely into KDE such as
> KMyFirewall although simpler. If anyone has any pointers or perhaps an
> interesting  article they could refer me to on getting started with
> Slackware I would appreciate it :-) .

Nate,

Attached is an email I received from a guy named Andy. His email explains how
to set up iptables on Slackware 9.1, but it should work for 10.0 too. I used
this procedure/firewall on my 9.1 system and it worked flawlessly. Since I
upgraded to 10.0 I have a router that does the forewalling for me. In the
email, read the bottom message first, download Arno's iptables from
freshmeat, and then follow Andy's instructions. Any questions, drop me a
line. You could probably even email Andy if you like. He didn't mind me
emailing him directly. He was very eager to help. I have no knowledge of any
GUI firewall frontends, sorry.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Look here for arno's iptables:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/iptables-firewall/

--
The KING is coming!..................Rev. 1:7
Linux User #153217..................http://counter.li.org