[CS-FSLUG] Install/uninstall procedures

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu Oct 7 02:10:08 CDT 2004

Robert W. wrote:

[snip]

> [snip...]
>
> Stow has a switch that deletes the symbolic links. Then you delete
> the  directory, and the package is completely uninstalled.
>
> I use stow for installing non-rpm applications. Makes it easy to
> clean  up programs that have outlived their usefullness. I could never
> get  checkinstall to work (I didn't try very hard either).

I have had a lot of trouble with Checkinstall in SUSE Linux but not
Mandrake, I don't know what difference between the two distributions may
be responsible but I have to admit trying to find out is more then I'm
motivated to do right now. I have simply resorted to using "make" and
"make install" by themselves, I only need a few applications installed
from source and all of them have a "make uninstall" option.

[snip]