[CS-FSLUG] Install/uninstall procedures

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Tue Oct 5 00:55:58 CDT 2004

Robert W. wrote:

[snip]

> GNU's "stow" is another way to manage self-compiled applications. It
> places each application in its own directory. And creates symbolic
> links. For example:
> # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/runMe
> # make
> # make install
> # stow runMe
>
> All files for "runMe" reside in /usr/local/stow/runMe. Stow adds
> symbolic links to /usr/local/* (/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share/man/
> man1, etc...).

[snip]

Thats the way packages should be installed, each program and its files
in its own folder. I think slackware still does this to some extent but
most of the RPM and Deb based distributions don't any more, when I make
RPM's for Dilm all the files go into /usr/local/dilm/ and then symbolic
links go into /usr/bin .