[CS-FSLUG] Install/uninstall procedures

Robert W. robertwo at access-4-free.com
Wed Oct 6 23:46:33 CDT 2004

On 10/04/2004 11:36:35 PM, Jukka Y wrote:
> Robert W. wrote:
>
>> GNU's "stow" is another way to manage self-compiled applications. It
>> places each application in its own directory. And creates symbolic
>> links. For example:
[snip...]
> Thanks for the tip. As Nathan wrote, "stow" seems to do even better
> job than "checkinstall" :-). I suppose program can be uninstalled
> removing it's folder from /usr/local ? Have you heard if this method
> has any advantages/disadvantages over the other installation methods?
[snip...]

Stow has a switch that deletes the symbolic links. Then you delete the
directory, and the package is completely uninstalled.

I use stow for installing non-rpm applications. Makes it easy to clean
up programs that have outlived their usefullness. I could never get
checkinstall to work (I didn't try very hard either).

--
Robert W.
robertwo at access-4-free.com

Enter through the narrow gate... But small is the gate and narrow the
road that leads to life, and only a few find it. -- Matthew 7:13a,14