[CS-FSLUG] LINUX COMMUNITY WANTS MORE SAY IN OS DIRECTION

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 25 00:28:22 CST 2004

Norbert Bollow wrote:

>N. Thompson <n.thomp at sasktel.net> wrote:
>

>>So you're involved in some way with DotGNU then? ;-)
>>

>yes :-)
>
>Since your comment sounds like you've heard of DotGNU before,
>I'll take the opportunity and ask you: How do you feel and
>think about this project?
>
>(We need to get better at promoting the project and communicating
>about it's goals, and for that it's helpful to know how we're
>currently perceived.)

I'd consider dotGNU's main competition to be mono so thats what I'll
mostly be comparing it to. Right off the bat after first seeing the
dotGNU project's web page I preferred it over Mono because it showed
support for several different toolkits and platforms, right now mono is
only showing GTK# for the most part and only seems to run on Linux thus
keeping .net limited to Windows and Linux and defeating the notion of
portable binaries. I'm a Qt fan so seeing only GTK# applications on the
mono web site bothered me, also I have used BeOS before and consider it
to be a much better operating system then what windows was like for the
time when Be Inc was still alive, seeing a screenshot of dotGNU under
BeOS earned it a few extra points with me.

I don't know any .net languages and haven't used either dotGNU or Mono
for developing any software so I couldn't say which one is more complete
or compatible with Microsoft's .net implementation so I'm afraid I won't
be of much use there. If I were to learn C# however I'd probably give
dotGNU the first try since I've never been very big on using IDE's
anyway and if I'm going to learn a programming language I'm going to
pick something that I can use on more then one or two operating systems.

Mono may have more media attention but that doesn't make it better, I
know Ark Linux includes dotGNU for .net support instead of mono and I
also know that dotGNU has gotten where it is with much less monetary
support then mono which is being supported by Novell's deep pockets.

Right now however I think it would be nice to know what languages and
versions of .net dotGNU is compatible with, I didn't see much on that on
the web site but its possible I overlooked it by accident, especially
considering that I didn't have that much time to look through the FAQ
since its getting late here and I have school tomorrow.

[snip]

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/