[CS-FSLUG] DotGNU vs Mono (was Re: LINUX COMMUNITY...)

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Nov 25 08:33:45 CST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> I view the attitude which Mono project leader Miguel de Icaza has
> towards other projects (especially towards projects which can be
> viewed as competing and which don't want to submit to him to become
> part of his empire) as a manifestation of the spirit of antichrist.
> (Yes, this spirit is at work not only in Sun and Microsoft but it
> can also influence open source based businesses.)

I only know what I read, and what I  experience by communicating with
the few developers who will respond. With that, I have gained a very
strong impression you are correct. I know little of de Icaza, but I
have had some harsh verbal bruising from those connected with his
projects. I honestly do not believe I have provoked that from them, but
that it is the GNOME culture as a whole.

When I volunteer to write for the GonME Project, I heard from the
founder similar stories. While I find that man a bit odd, I mark it
down to cultural differences (he's Turkish, I believe). However, others
who have defected from GNOME have said the same thing -- maybe a
half-dozen at least have told me such in e-mails.

You are write that the crushing spirit of oppression can be found
anywhere.

Ed Hurst
A Bible Site -- http://webs.tconline.net/softedges/
Linux & Unix Help -- http://ed.asisaid.com/