[CS-FSLUG] Upgrading Mandrake

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Nov 22 17:14:58 CST 2004

Anyone know how smoothly it usually is, I've only done it once and it left me
with some strange bugs however I think others in the list have had smoother
experiences with it.

Right now I'm considering which distributions are most viable as a good
desktop system, Mandrake has the advantage of a more open reputation then
SUSE which has previously kept much of yast under tight guard until recently,
Mandrake also seems to run faster and over all seems to have a less expensive
PowerPack edition then SUSE's professional edition. Mandrake has its
downsides as well however, for one Mandrake has hiked the price on the
PowerPack+ edition to USD $199 which is very high considering that in the
past everything in the PowerPack+ edition used to be included in the
PowerPack edition at a much lower price in the past. Anyway If I were to
narrow down my choices to two distributions it would come down to a choice
between Mandrake and SUSE, and I'm sure Mandrake would win. I just need to
know a few things before being sure of myself.

How smoothly does Mandrake update from one version to the next, I've heard
there can be some problems upgrading from an edition that doesn't include the
commercial drivers and software so I know to keep that in mind but what about
upgrading to a newer version of the same edition as was installed earlier.
I'm asking since I'd rather find a shortcut around having to install every
new release from scratch, surely if Windows can do it properly then most
Linux distributions should also be able to. And what about support for
suspending the computer to disk (hibernating), I've heard thats going to be
implemented in Mandrake 10.1 for laptops but that was for laptops, no mention
as to whether it will also work for desktops. Windows includes such support
for desktops so it should also be there for Linux and yet when I tried using
apm or acpi in Mandrake 10.0 I got a message saying the kernel wouldn't
support it.

Anyway I'm just looking for some input on this, I still won't be ready to
ditch Windows now until Cadega has good support for Age of Empires, Command &
Conquer and Rise of Nations but I've been thinking about getting a copy of
the powerpack edition of Mandrake 10.1 or whichever version is current when I
finally get around to it, as many of you remember I was also on the verge of
getting Mandrake Linux when I first tried 9.1.