[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Megahurtz Race

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Tue May 11 09:05:21 CDT 2004

My very first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 which used a Z80. I
don't remember its clock speed but I think it was 2-4 MHz.

My second one was a Commodore 64, which used a CMOS 6510 (a 6502
variant) running at 1 MHz.

The third one was a Commodore 128, which used a CMOS 8502 which is
rather obscure. I don't have any specs or analysis for that chip
(anyone?).

My fourth one was bought when I wanted an IBM PC, back on 1991. My
budget could afford only a 286, but a friend of mine insisted that I
should fork a little bit more for a special processor called 386SX. I
was glad to follow that advice; I ran a 386SX/16 MHz.

My fifth one was a PII/350. Excellent value, in 1998.

My sixth and current one is an AMD k6-2/500Mhz.

Concurrently I use a P4/2GHz on a daily basis.

Well, this is my computing history.

Blessings,

Eduardo Sánchez

On Monday 10 May 2004 23:11, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> What was the megahertz speed of your first computer? What is the speed
> of your present computer? Have you ever owned a system with a
> "performance rating" instead of a MHz rating? Do you check your system
> speed to see if it really is running at the advertised speed?
>
> I'm not sure, to be honest -- I'd have to check to see what the TI
> 99/4A's specs where. My first PC compatible ran at 33 MHz, though (it
> was a Intel 486 DX).
>
> My current PC runs at 2.66 GHz (but, to answer the last question, its
> actual speed is 2657.883). It's a Pentium 4 without Hyperthreading...
HT

--
Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America