[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Megahurtz Race

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Tue May 11 08:22:06 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:11:41PM -0500, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> What was the megahertz speed of your first computer? What is the speed
> of your present computer? Have you ever owned a system with a
> "performance rating" instead of a MHz rating? Do you check your system
> speed to see if it really is running at the advertised speed?

My first computer is of an unknown speed, it was an old Samsung (I want
to say 286, but could be a 386).  After using that for a couple of years
(using means WordPerfect) we upgraded to a Packard Bell with the first
wave of Pentium chips on the market.  It was a 66MHz processor with 16
megs of RAM.  :-)

After a severe virus attack basically destroyed that computer a few
years later we got an AMD K6 processor that was a 300MHz IIRC.  After
discovering linux and almost destroying my mom's computer I decided I
needed my own to toy around with so I saved money, scrounged for spare
parts at high school and made my very own computer, a Celeron 333MHz.
Shortly thereafter a friend of mine needed the Celery because his P2-350
wouldn't boot in his motherboard, so I got a free upgrade and he had a
downgrade.  :-)

After using that for a while I stumbled upon a P2-400 and popped that in
and that was how my computer ran for a good couple of years.  I started
work at a computer repair shop and decided I needed an upgrade so I
bought a new motherboard and an AMD Duron 900MHz.  By sheer luck a
customer returned an Athlon 1.2GHz processor and it was given to me.
That is my computer as it sits now, a 1.2GHz Athlon with 512MB RAM.  I
even did the little overclock hack that you can do with certain Athlon
procs and can overclock mine to about a 1.4GHz in a stable
configuration.  I don't, however, because I need this to last longer!
:-)

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7