[CS-FSLUG] Sending E-mail's via Network

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Tue Jul 27 13:50:46 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 02:31 pm, Frank Bax wrote:
> At 01:50 PM 7/27/04, David M. wrote:

> > > I only have 1 nic. I did figure out one thing I was doing wrong, I was
> > > using this e-mail address to send the mail to my local network which is
> > > located somewhere else and not on my network and it was trying to send
> > > the mail through that server that resides in florida.
> > >
> > > So I created a new identity for sending mail on the network here
> > > locally so the mail will not try to go thru the server in florida and
> > > should go straight to my mailbox here on this computer.
> > >
> > > Also when I try to retreive mail, I noticed an error: "Transmission
> > > failed: Could not lock /var/spool/mail/dmcglone"
> > >
> > > Whats that mean?
> >
> >Ok now I figured out that I have to send mail to dmcglone at localhost for it
> > to work correctly, and I cannot send mail to dmclgone at buddy. Why is this
> > so? can I change it so it will send mail to dmcglone at buddy instead of
> >dmcglone at localhost?
> >
> >Here's an example header of what worked:
> >
> >hello from dmcglone's local account
> >
> >From:
> >"David M." <dmcglone at buddy.Buddy>
> >

> >To:
> >dmcglone at localhost.Buddy
> >

> >Date:
> >Today 01:24:26 pm
> >
> >I see that it's from dmcglone at buddy.buddy, but sending mail to
> >dmcglone at buddy.buddy produces nothing but lost mail somewhere.
> >--
> >David M.
>
> I'm certainly no expert in this area,
me either.

> but I think you are getting
> buddy.buddy and localhost.buddy because the system needs to resolve partial
> host names (without a period) into a fully qualify hostname (with at least
> one period).  I think it uses /etc/resolv.conf to do this - my guess is you
> have a line 'search buddy' in there which adds '.buddy' to the end of the
> 'buddy' hostname that contained no periods.  Somedays I like to make
> statements like this simply to see if anyone tells me I don't know what I'm
> talking about.

any info creates clues which eventually becomes a solution. :-)

here's my etc/resolv.conf
[root at Buddy root]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search wowway.com

woway.com is from Wide Open West, my cable internet provider. I now wonder if
because  WOW automatically takes care of this, it is contributing to my
problems.
--
David M.