[CS-FSLUG] TH The kingdom of Heaven

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Thu Jul 22 13:06:20 CDT 2004

Nigel Ridley wrote:

>>When Jesus faced the Tempter in the Wilderness, He was specifically
>>fighting those false ideas what the Messiah would be and do: Messiah
>>would turns the desert stones to bread so no Jew would ever go hungry
>>again, Messiah would annouce his coming by many flashy miracles to
>>include jumping off the 70-foot terrace of the Temple Mount, and would
>>be a political ruler, etc.
>
> Sorry -- don't agree with you on this. The tempter was just twisting the
> Word of God to try and get Jesus to worship him in an attempt to stop
> Him from fulfilling the Messianic prophecies (the tempter had no
> incline as to the death and resurrection at that point in time). It had
> nothing to do with the Jews ideas of Messianic expectations.

So this whole body of study is just trash? All the silly expectations
recorded in non-canonical "prophesies" were never accepted by anybody
else? One of these scurilous books published during the Period of
Silence specifically mentions jumping from the temple terrace. Another
mentions stones turned to bread. Another mentions all the Gentile
nations schlepping their wealth to Israel and lining up to be chosen as
slaves.

Even though this stuff was embroidered and echoed in many other
writings, and was popular discussion between rabbis, it had no bearing
on what Satan and Jesus discussed there? I have no trouble seeing that
there is more than one thing going on here at once, but I am quite
certain Jesus had heard this garbage in what passed for the Hebrew
school system. Satan made a very strong effort, I believe, to get Jesus
to accept this ready-made path to "Messiahship" to prevent Him becoming
what John had said: "Behold, the Lamb of God which takes away the sin of
the world." I'm also quite certain Satan knew Jesus was born to die.
That was prophesied way back in Isaiah, among other places.

--
Ed Hurst