[CS-FSLUG] TH The kingdom of Heaven

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Thu Jul 22 12:18:55 CDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:35:07 -0500
Ed Hurst <softedges at tconline.net> wrote:

> Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >>Indeed, the much ingnored "Messianic Expectations". I was a student
> >of
>
> [snip]
>
> > Not 'nonsense' at all. Why did the angel Gabriel lend to that
> > expectation when he spoke to Mary?:
>
> You miss the import of my statement for my failure to define the
> terms. In academic theology, "Messianic Expectations" plural refers to
> a body of junk theology that place the Jews as kings of a physical,
> temporal version of "eternity" that was merely an extension of their
> current reality.
>
> When Jesus faced the Tempter in the Wilderness, He was specifically
> fighting those false ideas what the Messiah would be and do: Messiah
> would turns the desert stones to bread so no Jew would ever go hungry
> again, Messiah would annouce his coming by many flashy miracles to
> include jumping off the 70-foot terrace of the Temple Mount, and would
> be a political ruler, etc.

Sorry -- don't agree with you on this. The tempter was just twisting the
Word of God to try and get Jesus to worship him in an attempt to stop
Him from fulfilling the Messianic prophecies (the tempter had no
incline as to the death and resurrection at that point in time). It had
nothing to do with the Jews ideas of Messianic expectations.

> The Messianic Expectation (singular) was what Jesus fulfilled, as
> promise by all the prophets.

Jesus fulfilled the prophecies concerning His first coming, there are
still more to be fulfilled at, and after, His second coming --
specifically all the promises made to the patriarchs concerning the
land and earthly kingdom ruled by Messiah on David's throne; which is
what the angel Gabriel was referring to when he spoke to Mary.

> --
> Ed Hurst
> -----------
> Software Freedom Day - 28 August 2004
> Got freedom?
> http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
> ---

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com