[CS-FSLUG] TH The kingdom of Heaven

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Thu Jul 22 14:07:23 CDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:06:20 -0500
Ed Hurst <softedges at tconline.net> wrote:

> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
> >>When Jesus faced the Tempter in the Wilderness, He was specifically
> >>fighting those false ideas what the Messiah would be and do: Messiah
> >
> >>would turns the desert stones to bread so no Jew would ever go
> >hungry >again, Messiah would annouce his coming by many flashy
> >miracles to >include jumping off the 70-foot terrace of the Temple
> >Mount, and would>be a political ruler, etc.
> >
> > Sorry -- don't agree with you on this. The tempter was just twisting
> > the Word of God to try and get Jesus to worship him in an attempt to
> > stop Him from fulfilling the Messianic prophecies (the tempter had
> > no incline as to the death and resurrection at that point in time).
> > It had nothing to do with the Jews ideas of Messianic expectations.
>
> So this whole body of study is just trash? All the silly expectations
> recorded in non-canonical "prophesies" were never accepted by anybody
> else? One of these scurilous books published during the Period of
> Silence specifically mentions jumping from the temple terrace. Another
> mentions stones turned to bread. Another mentions all the Gentile
> nations schlepping their wealth to Israel and lining up to be chosen
> as slaves.

Not sure what you mean by "So this whole body of study is just trash?"
I was referring only to Biblical Messianic expectations, which were also
the ones that are mentioned in the New testament.
Let's stick to the Bible -- it's the only thing that truly matters. Yes
I am sure that there were some strange doctrines being taught at the
time of Jesus but Jesus doesn't refer to them in His public ministry,
although He certainly does mention and deal with the Biblical ones.

> Even though this stuff was embroidered and echoed in many other
> writings, and was popular discussion between rabbis, it had no bearing
>
> on what Satan and Jesus discussed there? I have no trouble seeing that
>
> there is more than one thing going on here at once, but I am quite
> certain Jesus had heard this garbage in what passed for the Hebrew
> school system. Satan made a very strong effort, I believe, to get
> Jesus to accept this ready-made path to "Messiahship" to prevent Him
> becoming what John had said: "Behold, the Lamb of God which takes away
> the sin of the world." I'm also quite certain Satan knew Jesus was
> born to die. That was prophesied way back in Isaiah, among other
> places.

I have to disagree with you here. Satan had no way of knowing what the
Scriptures meant -- without the specific revelation of the Holy Spirit
Scripture is but ink on parchment/paper:

To them it was revealed, that not to themselves, but to you, did they
minister these things, which now have been announced to you through
those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent out from
heaven; which things angels desire to look into. 1Pet. 1:12

We too need the Holy Spirit to understand:

25 He said to them, "Foolish men, and slow of heart to believe in all
that the prophets have spoken! 26 Didn't the Christ have to suffer these
things and to enter into his glory?" 27 Beginning from Moses and from
all the prophets, he explained to them in all the Scriptures the things
concerning himself. Lk. 24:25-27

> --
> Ed Hurst
> -----------
> Software Freedom Day - 28 August 2004
> Got freedom?
> http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
> ---

Do explain Gabriel's talk with Mary and the [non] reaction Jesus gave
the disciples when they asked if He was going to restore the kingdom.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com