[CS-FSLUG] A view on US founding

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Mon Jul 19 06:28:22 CDT 2004

Clawman wrote:
> America may have been intended to be many things to many people, and
> such it became.  Some of the founding fathers saw America as a becon of
> light to the world, others as the start of an empire and others as a place
> to be free from the opression and poverty of their native lands.  Hasn't
> America become all those things?

Quite so. My intent was to remove the false mantle of our being a latter
day Israel. We are a mixture of good and evil as a nation, because out
people and rulers are both.

> We were blessed by God, as is obvious by our history, yet we know that
> our laws are only a reflection of ourselves (just as the original laws were
> a reflection of the people living in the first days of the country).  What
> I and others really fear is that the culture will become so corrupt that we
> will live as Christians in near anarchy amidst evil and temptation, so much
> like the first century Christians lived amongst the great perversion of Rome
> and her empire.  Would it not be a great blessing to have people of true
> belief in Jesus ruling over us and representing us?  Wouldn't it be nice to
> not have sinful lifestyles force upon us by evil laws?  Wouldn't it be nice
> to live in ease and comfort while judgement falls because of our own sinful
> nature of that of those around us?

Of course it would be nice. Once or twice, we have had a president that
was holy and righteous. Congress approached it at times, as much from
the movement of the times as from the character of the membership. What
I express is the cynicism based on a knowledge of our culture. The US
will most certainly fall for it. We must indeed resist, knowing that in
the end it is doomed. We stand for righteousness. Yet there is a valid
argument that even our attempts to legislate that righteous stand will
be tainted, never mind the honest belief from both sides of many
arguments that God is one their side.

> Indeed, no government can save us, but one look at our leaders can show
> us at a glance the condition of the hearts of the people.  This is what is
> truely scarry.  What we say we want are just laws, what we mean is that
> we want just people.

Here is indeed another way of saying what I say. If a leader places his
personal friends above the law and flouts righteousness, we call him
criminal, and maybe even succeed in getting some of his evil tried in
some court. If the next man in his place seeks to destroy liberty under
a false pretext, but happens to speak as a believer, we give him carte
blanche and say he is God's man.

--
Ed Hurst