[CS-FSLUG] A view on US founding

Clawman groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 01:23:09 CDT 2004

Slight mailing boo-boo,

> Um, Clawman? I'm not sure I get what you're not saying.

I meant to write something, then changed my mind, but for some reason
sent it accidently anyways (probably habit).

Anyhow, I couldn't agree more that the influence of the enlightenment
and it's step-child "Deism" was a major player in the formation of the
Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.  It was the times that
they lived.  Unconciously or conciously, it affected them. Even churches
today have elections and draw up constitutions based on the rights of
the members because of the political climate of the country we live in
today.

It is true that in the days of kings and princes the leaders were
responsible
to God for  their behavior and indeed their nations would suffer if they
behaved in an ungodly way.  I must disagree, however, that our system,
which is rule by the rich and powerful, is somehow perverting what
God had intended for government.  Originally, Israel had no government.
They requested a king. God saw this as a sin, as a rejection of His
authority
and trust in Him. God consented to grant Israel a king and even gave Israel
a lineage in it (Jesus), but it was still not His intention.

America may have been intended to be many things to many people, and
such it became.  Some of the founding fathers saw America as a becon of
light to the world, others as the start of an empire and others as a place
to be free from the opression and poverty of their native lands.  Hasn't
America become all those things?

We were blessed by God, as is obvious by our history, yet we know that
our laws are only a reflection of ourselves (just as the original laws were
a reflection of the people living in the first days of the country).  What
I and others really fear is that the culture will become so corrupt that we
will live as Christians in near anarchy amidst evil and temptation, so much
like the first century Christians lived amongst the great perversion of Rome
and her empire.  Would it not be a great blessing to have people of true
belief in Jesus ruling over us and representing us?  Wouldn't it be nice to
not have sinful lifestyles force upon us by evil laws?  Wouldn't it be nice
to live in ease and comfort while judgement falls because of our own sinful
nature of that of those around us?

Indeed, no government can save us, but one look at our leaders can show
us at a glance the condition of the hearts of the people.  This is what is
truely scarry.  What we say we want are just laws, what we mean is that
we want just people.