{PD} [CS-FSLUG] Am I Democrat or Republican?

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 17:36:25 CDT 2004

Well,

> > The deaf community here (my wife is an
> interpreter) is
> > in general more sensual and less morally inhibited
> > than the general population. Why? We can only
> assume
> > from our conversations that the "social pressure"
> that
> > comes from overhearing others (i.e. the prevailing
> > cultural view) is missing. Things like, "I never
> heard
> > that" and "Nope, I don't know what that means" are
> > common. So you are actually ahead of the game.
>
> I don't fully understand what your saying above,
> could you elaborate or give
> me an example?

Many of the deaf community were not aware of certain
sayings and certain "common sence" principles that I
take for granted. They were also not aware of what
other thought of their actions, since so few of them
are able to communicate with them. In this respect,
many of them take longer to mature. Even in college
many of them are dating several people at once,
sleeping around, talking like teenagers, have pre-teen
jealous fits and the like. It's like, "Didn't anyone
tell you that that was wrong ... ah ... I guess you
never heard it." Unless someone makes a concious
effoert to tell them, they won't know (like your
Church issue. If noone says it so you can hear, how
will you know?)

> Also Please give your wife a great BIG hug for me,
> if were not for people like
> her I would have never got good grades in college or
> probably would have
> never went : - )

She did high school and college interpreting.