{PD} [CS-FSLUG] Am I Democrat or Republican?

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Mon Jul 12 15:04:09 CDT 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 03:18 pm, Chris Brault wrote:
> Well,
>
> > A quick google search brings up abortion was
> > legalized in 1973, that makes me
> > depending on the month, almost 1 or 1 year old, so
> > this probably did have an
> > impact on the way I thought about abortion.
>
> I was born in 1973. We were taught that abortion was
> wrong from an early age.

You probably were tought that, but in what way? I can almost guarantee it was
preached to you in church since you were a young one. So I basically missed
those teachings. Matter of fact I don't think I really started thinking about
issues such as Capitol Punishment, Affirmative Action, Abortion, etc etc
until I was in my 20's and in college. Matter of fact I remember our English
professor assigning us to a topic and I was assigned Affirmative Action and
to be honest I didn't even know what it was same goes for Capitol punishment.

> > Also I do know for a fact that my hearing loss when
> > I was 7 had a great impacton how I think today too
>
> The deaf community here (my wife is an interpreter) is
> in general more sensual and less morally inhibited
> than the general population. Why? We can only assume
> from our conversations that the "social pressure" that
> comes from overhearing others (i.e. the prevailing
> cultural view) is missing. Things like, "I never heard
> that" and "Nope, I don't know what that means" are
> common. So you are actually ahead of the game.

I don't fully understand what your saying above, could you elaborate or give
me an example?

Especially when you say more sensual and less morally inhibited than the
general population.

Also Please give your wife a great BIG hug for me, if were not for people like
her I would have never got good grades in college or probably would have
never went : - )

> > I proably watch on average 1 hour of television in a
> > WEEK! I never watch television, and im not a victim
> > of propoganda, and I have never even been to
> > any political web sites except for the one someone
> > refered me to in the very first post to this topic.
>
> We have no television (i.e. the Coma box).

The most I watch is either a little bit of news or I check out whats on the
history channel. Television doesn't appeal to me, because I feel I could be
doing better things with my time.

> > All my opinions and conclusions are almost based on
> > what I SEE and think. My eyes are my ears and they
> > can almost always be deceiving.
>
> Indeed, television news shows are designed to be
> entertainment (i.e. just like psychics) and dramatic.
> All my news comes from the internet. I can watch the
> AP news clips and read differing opinions and foreign
> accounts and make my own judgements. Why not think for myself.

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. :-)

--
David M.