[CS-FSLUG] Am I Democrat or Republican?

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Sun Jul 4 12:53:47 CDT 2004

David M. wrote:
> He then says: your a Republican.
>
> Now I am again confused with my political stance. And want to really find out
> the truth for myself.
>
> So does anyone know how I can answer these questions for myself?

Let me stir the pot: If you honestly evaluate what the R-party is
actually doing, the leadership appear to have left behind their original
identity. I would say you are "conservative" on certain social and
economic questions, but I would be hesitant to call you Republican. Will
Rogers once said, referring to actual policies enacted by Congress and
by Executive decisions, that there's not a dime's worth of difference
between R and D. The D broke with their old base, rather dramatically,
in the mid-60s. The R is now facing a very ugly fight, though for now it
is more in the background, and ignoring the original "core constituency".

Caveat: I am a member and supporter of major neither party. In general,
I am deeply cynical about government, and specifically distrust our
current government. To me, partisan politics is the ultimate in noisy folly.

--
Ed Hurst