[CS-FSLUG] I'm dangerous

N.Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 3 22:58:14 CDT 2004

This makes me reconsider trying Slackware, Mandrake works and thats
something I've never found to be equally accurate in Slackware Linux. As
much as I'm unhappy with not being able to find some rpm's for software
without a Mandrake club membership its still better then having a
distribution I know too little about to make any use of it.

I didn't really realize how fortunate I was to have a working system
until I read your post, for what its worth I wouldn't blame myself in
your position, most unices including almost all Linux distributions
require much more technical knowhow then BeOS or Windows and in my
opinion thats because everything in unices was originally designed not
for average users but people with previous experience who already know
their way around. Also I find that with all distributions I've tried
either something is broken, most of the system doesn't work the way I
want it to or nothing works at all after a clean installation, BeOS has
decent defaults for everything from the point its installed and Windows
at least has barely tolerable defaults out of the box whereas with every
linux distribution I've tried I've definitely had to change things.

I'm still unhappy with my shortage of software with Mandrake Linux
however so I"m probably going to look at a distribution I've already
tried and know I can use, I've also been putting some thought into
Lindows simply because if their package manager is like the one in
Xandros Linux except with more software and less bugs it should give me
a better idea of what software is available and what it does, I should
therefore have an easier time finding what I want. One of the things I
do miss about Windows is simply being able to go to a large software
directory web site and download and install what I want just like that,
its nowhere near that simple in Linux because I am either unable to find
software by what it does or there just isn't much available at all.