[CS-FSLUG] Nathan

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 26 23:29:50 CDT 2004

Chris Brault wrote:

[snip]

>>I'm actually running Fedora on my main box's test
>>partition (which I don't use that much -- I try to
>>keep most testing on a separate box), so
>>when I get time, I need to do a distro install onto
>>my main, large partition. It's just a question of
>>whether to stick to Fedora or move back to Mandrake.
>>

>Mandrake is for noobs.  That said, I also keep a
>Mandrake distro installed on my machine, but that is
>another story.  I use Mandrake for it's simplicity
>when called for, but most often, it's Fedora = XFCE.

I can't say as I'd agree there, I don't care how much I learn about
Linux, Mandrake and SUSE will probably always be favourites of mine
because they are so simple I can actally spend time doing important
stuff. If its for noobs then those must be happy noobs with lots of time
to do important work rather then sit there configuring one Linux system
for hours, days or weeks. Other distros aren't quite as fit for public
use because a mandatory requirement to using them is either knowing
Linux and the GNU tools well or having (lots of) time to do research
into how something is done depending on the task in question.

>>Overall, I like Fedora's simplicity and
>>GNOME-centricity, but I like Mandrake's better use
>>of tools such as urpmi. Fedora hasn't done enough
>>to integrate apt-get into the system (picking icky
>>yum instead -- I don't like yum in Yellow Dog where
>>it came from much less Fedora), and
>>using apt-get for major upgrades has trashed one box
>>I was working with. So being (at the core) a Debian
>>guy, I'm having trouble withdrawing from having a
>>good, integrated (to the extent of Debian) package
>>system.
>>

>I only use apt-get. I have NEVER used yum for major
>updating. I tried and it blew chunks all over itself.
>froze and died.  Synaptic is the GREATEST updating
>tool for RPM based systems that exists today.  It
>blows URPMI away by far, especially with it's "smart"
>and "normal" upgrades now, so that it won't kill your
>system accidently. I don't see why they don't make
>apt/synaptic the default updater, or atleast include
>it in the distro as an addon.

I've always been comfortable with urpmi although the GUI rpm tools in
Mandrake Linux weren't my favourite. Synaptic isn't bad but I don't
think the UI is that well designed, I think the user interface should
have been split vertically instead of horizontally and I'd preffer it if
it were written in Qt or something neutral like Fox or  wxWidgets (using
wxMotif) so GTK wouldn't be required.

>>At any rate, as long as I'm here, I'm going to see
>>how FC2 comes out, and then decide. I'd rather stay
>>with the distro that clearly spends the
>>most time on GNOME, but Mandrake's GNOME is pretty
>>good and so that may be enough for me to go
>>back...).
>>

>Yeah, I'll see how FC 2 is. The test releases were
>described as "unstable".  That is an understatement.
>But then again, they were "test" releases, so what did
>I expect? Anyways, if FC 2 is cool, I'll tweak it
>(mainly strip it down to bare bones and XFCE) then go
>with the flow, otherwise, I might check out the
>"stable" Mandrake release. It could be cool.

I'm also considering trying FC2, assuming I can find some good apt
repositories for FC2 with all the KDE packages and I can find some nice
artwork to replace Fedora's graphics. I'd also like to find some way to
get Fedora to use KDE's icons in the KDE menu instead of Fedora's icons.

One of the reasons I'm a little reluctant to use Fedora as my main
distribution is because I've never liked the small changes they've made
to the KDE desktop and their choice of software packages.