[CS-FSLUG] Nathan

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 26 20:15:39 CDT 2004

David McGlone wrote:

>On Sunday 25 April 2004 10:31 pm, N. Thompson wrote:
>

>>I appreciate the offer but it won't be necessary, I think I'll be
>>settling on Mandrake if Tim and Dave can help me with getting it to work
>>right with my USB thumb drive, or SUSE if another SUSE user in the list
>>can confirm for me that only the FTP install version has the 1+ minute
>>delay when plugging in or unplugging devices (I would preffer if the
>>test could be done with a USB thumb drive of 32 Mb in size or bigger, I
>>don't know if other USB devices would reproduce the conditions under
>>which SUSE does that on my computer). Just for the record I think
>>Mandrake will be my first choice because I've always preffered it when
>>it was working.
>>

>Hi Nathan,
>
>How about this:
>
>Take Kelly's offer for the hard drive.

I'd feel bad accepting something for free from someone I only know from
a mailing list, its nothing personal I'm just uncomfortable accepting
large gifts for free from someone I've only met in a mailing list. If
its not a big deal I'd like to send my copy of Xandros Linux over in
exchange if she's sure about giving away the hard drive, right now the
copy of Xandros Linux is just sitting in my closet collecting dust
anyway. I'm sure dad could help me figure out how to operate that post
office thingy (see what e-mail has done to me ;-) ).

Would I need to include some sort of message on the package indicating
what the contents are and saying that I have permission to send it? I
still have that package Ed Hurst sent those SUSE CD's over in (along
with the CD's) and there was a note on the wrapping paper explaining the
contents and licenses of the included software.

>Put that in your computer for testing other distro's.
>
>Then since the official release of mandrake will not be available for download
>for some time, and your hinting that you will go back to mandrake, in the
>meantime  join me with Fedora core which im running now, until mandrake
>official comes out.

I just got the announcement from Mandrakesoft that pre-orders were going
to be available, thats disappointing as I was hoping it would be
available sooner :-( .

I don't know about Fedora, I guess as long as I can count on some list
members to help me out from time to time with it. Right now I can't get
my sound working and I'm still uncomfortable compiling my own kernel as
I always worry I might leave something out that I'll need later. Perhaps
FC 2 will have my sound working without needing to have the latest
kernel compiled. Which reminds me, I compiled the 2.6.5 kernel in
Slackware but I still couldn't get my sound card working, are alsa
drivers separate?

>Then join me in installing mandrake official download on another partition and
>we will give that a shot also.
>
>This way, you will have a good month or 2 or maybe 3 before mandrake comes out
>to get a really good oppinion about fedora and how it works. Then when we
>install mandrake 10.0 official, we can have some good ideas about whether it
>would be better to keep running fedora, or make the switch back to mandrake.
>
>Also, there are some people on the list that know fedora really well, and so
>Im sure they would give us hints and tips and information about fedora if we
>asked.
>
>So far, there is only one drawback about using fedora on my computer and that
>is having to work with Sane to get my scanner working instead of having a
>tool to do that for me.

The drawback for me was no sound, Qt was too old to compile one of my
projects made in Qt 3.2.1 and I couldn't find good apt-sources.

>But thats a very small aspect that I know I can fix or work around and so I am
>giving fedora serious consideration because I really like the stability it
>has shown.
>
>And with your USB thumbdrive, I am willing to help you google and ask
>questions if I cannot resolve your problem myself, but that will require
>patience from you until we can find the right answer even if it means setting
>it up just to get it workable and bearing with the drawbacks until we can
>find out how to get it working 100% accuratly.
>
>Whaddya say?

I've already got FC burned off, I'll have to see about getting more CD's
for MDK 10.0 ( 4 CD's for MDK 10.0 afaik ) and fedora core 2 when its
released.
I doubt you'll be able to drag me away from Mandrake and I've always
found that when I'm running more then one distribution I end up
neglecting the other but we'll see how it goes, I've always thought of
building my own distro from MDK or something and using the PCLinuxOS
scripts to make it into my own distro but thats thinking ahead a little
too far isn't it.

>>I've also read over my blog post and I can see how it could be
>>misunderstood, make no mistake I did not intend for it to sound as if I
>>was angry at the CS-FSLUG list members, not did I intend it to sound
>>rude or accusative. Perhaps one of the hardest things for me because I
>>preffer to be upfront and honest is clear communication :-/ .
>>

>Lets put that behind us. It's already forgotten here.
>

>>Anyway I hope I didn't offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did.
>>

>And im sorry if I said anything to offend you.

I just got carried away with my blog posting, no one in the CS-FSLUG
list has done anything to make me angry, I'll admit to being frustrated
from time to time because I'm sure I've accidentally given that away in
some of my replies but there's bound to be some kind of friction in any
social setting.