[CS-FSLUG] Nathan

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 22:25:31 CDT 2004

> My big
> complaint with Fedora is its automatic detection of
> media. It doesn't
> think I have a CD-RW so it keeps removing the links
> I add for it in
> /dev. Errrrr (if only it would use devfs instead of
> whatever it is using).

Time for the 2.6 kernel man. It uses sysfs, which is
much better.

> I'm actually running Fedora on my main box's test
> partition (which I don't use that much -- I try to
> keep most testing on a separate box), so
> when I get time, I need to do a distro install onto
> my main, large partition. It's just a question of
> whether to stick to Fedora or move back to Mandrake.

Mandrake is for noobs.  That said, I also keep a
Mandrake distro installed on my machine, but that is
another story.  I use Mandrake for it's simplicity
when called for, but most often, it's Fedora = XFCE.

> Overall, I like Fedora's simplicity and
> GNOME-centricity, but I like Mandrake's better use
> of tools such as urpmi. Fedora hasn't done enough
> to integrate apt-get into the system (picking icky
> yum instead -- I don't like yum in Yellow Dog where
> it came from much less Fedora), and
> using apt-get for major upgrades has trashed one box
> I was working with. So being (at the core) a Debian
> guy, I'm having trouble withdrawing from having a
> good, integrated (to the extent of Debian) package
> system.

I only use apt-get. I have NEVER used yum for major
updating. I tried and it blew chunks all over itself.
froze and died.  Synaptic is the GREATEST updating
tool for RPM based systems that exists today.  It
blows URPMI away by far, especially with it's "smart"
and "normal" upgrades now, so that it won't kill your
system accidently. I don't see why they don't make
apt/synaptic the default updater, or atleast include
it in the distro as an addon.

> At any rate, as long as I'm here, I'm going to see
> how FC2 comes out, and then decide. I'd rather stay
> with the distro that clearly spends the
> most time on GNOME, but Mandrake's GNOME is pretty
> good and so that may be enough for me to go
> back...).

Yeah, I'll see how FC 2 is. The test releases were
described as "unstable".  That is an understatement.
But then again, they were "test" releases, so what did
I expect? Anyways, if FC 2 is cool, I'll tweak it
(mainly strip it down to bare bones and XFCE) then go
with the flow, otherwise, I might check out the
"stable" Mandrake release. It could be cool.