[CS-FSLUG] Nathan

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon Apr 26 18:45:00 CDT 2004

> Once again, Fedora dances to victory!!!!!

	Not so fast, you might lose one. I just got press access to MDK 10.0
Official -- if it turns out good, I may repent of my Fedora ways. My big
complaint with Fedora is its automatic detection of media. It doesn't
think I have a CD-RW so it keeps removing the links I add for it in
/dev. Errrrr (if only it would use devfs instead of whatever it is
using). Fortunately my PowerMac's burner is working just fine, so it
hasn't been a big issue, but...

	I'm actually running Fedora on my main box's test partition (which I
don't use that much -- I try to keep most testing on a separate box), so
when I get time, I need to do a distro install onto my main, larger
partition. It's just a question of whether to stick to Fedora or move
back to Mandrake.

	Overall, I like Fedora's simplicity and GNOME-centricity, but I like
Mandrake's better use of tools such as urpmi. Fedora hasn't done enough
to integrate apt-get into the system (picking icky yum instead -- I
don't like yum in Yellow Dog where it came from much less Fedora), and
using apt-get for major upgrades has trashed one box I was working with.
So being (at the core) a Debian guy, I'm having trouble withdrawing
from having a good, integrated (to the extent of Debian) package system.

	At any rate, as long as I'm hear, I'm going to see how FC2 comes out,
and then decide. I'd rather stay with the distro that clearly spends the
most time on GNOME, but Mandrake's GNOME is pretty good and so that may
be enough for me to go back...).

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |