[CS-FSLUG] SLAX 4.1.1

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Tue Apr 20 06:41:27 CDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:20:34PM -0600, N. Thompson wrote:
> Before installing slackware I have an important question, how do I
> update it and if that requires packages where do I find those packages?

Well, for updating there are two ways:  by hand or one of the spiffy new
auto-updater thingies.  I've done it by hand for years and it is only a
slight inconvenience for the bundle of new software I get to play with.

I subscribe to a mailing list that will mail out new ChangeLog notices
for Slackware so that I can stay up-to-date with the slackware-current
tree.  Once I get an email I would log into a slack mirror[1] and grab
whatever packages are newer then "upgradepkg *.tgz" if you downloaded
them all to one directory.  Of course you may have a new piece of
software you haven't installed before so you would have to "installpkg"
that one.

Now that I use `swaret' all I do is "swaret --update && swaret
--upgrade".  This will update the list of packages available for my
system and upgrade all the packages that I have already that have a
newer version.  To install a new package "swaret --install gaim".

Brian

[1]  Check out http://www.slackware.com/getslack/ AND/OR
               http://www.abnormalpenguin.com/slackware-mirrors.php

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7