[CS-FSLUG] article on current mission network news

R. Thompson ron.t at sasktel.net
Sat Apr 17 21:56:46 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 19:37, David Aikema wrote:
> On April 17, 2004 12:41 pm, Chris Brault wrote:
> > I don't foresee these products being as hard to get
> > used to as you think, especially for people motivated
> > to use them.
>
> I think that these people have other goals than learning how to use a
> computer.  People are familiar with Microsoft, hence that's what gets used.
> I don't think that Linux is quite ready for the average end-user desktop yet
> (although I think that its ready for the corporate desktop, where you've got
> centralized administration).

	Perhaps if an effort were made to expose them to the pros and cons of
Linux, they would make that decision themselves.  It is my understanding
that Wycliffe Bible Translators have been looking at Linux.  As for it
not being ready for the average end-user desktop, I think there are a
significant number of desktop users would consider switching over (just
hang around our lunch room after a virus has hit most of their
computers).  The most common excuse I've heard for not switching is that
their kids are familiar with MS, which the schools use.