[CS-FSLUG] article on current mission network news

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Mon Apr 19 21:49:31 CDT 2004

Quoting "R. Thompson" <ron.t at sasktel.net>:

> 	Perhaps if an effort were made to expose them to the pros and cons of
> Linux, they would make that decision themselves.  It is my understanding
> that Wycliffe Bible Translators have been looking at Linux.  As for it

Well, Linux does have a fair bit of internationalization tools built it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would a group translating the Bible be
distributed, or at a central location?

> computers).  The most common excuse I've heard for not switching is that
> their kids are familiar with MS, which the schools use.

And the schools are, I think, where we need to start.

Personally, I like the Macintosh security system the best of all that I've
tried.  It'll only give you a password prompt when you actually want to alter
some settings... a lot nicer than a lot of these Linux tools that require you
to be root simply to start, or to enter in the root password right away
(MacOSX's security appears to be built around sudo ... no root password to
worry about, but still prevents you from accidentally doing things or someone
else from doing something nasty)

David