[CS-FSLUG] article on current mission network news

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Sat Apr 17 20:37:01 CDT 2004

On April 17, 2004 12:41 pm, Chris Brault wrote:
> I don't foresee these products being as hard to get
> used to as you think, especially for people motivated
> to use them.

I think that these people have other goals than learning how to use a
computer.  People are familiar with Microsoft, hence that's what gets used.
I don't think that Linux is quite ready for the average end-user desktop yet
(although I think that its ready for the corporate desktop, where you've got
centralized administration).

> > If all the computers that the team uses are at a
> > central "base" somewhere then
> > sure, setup a linux firewall and then let them run
> > windows behind it.
>
> In order for a hacker to get ahold of these computers,
> they'd need a static IP and they'd need to have stored
> records, so then we must assume that they are
> referring to central offices with records and
> information.

Why would they need a static IP? (If you can manage to get your way into the
system, (eg.) just install a dynamic DNS client.)

David