[CS-FSLUG] article on current mission network news

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 14:41:05 CDT 2004

Well,

> Yes, I think it would solve the security problem.
> However, I doubt that
> missionary organizations are going to want to teach
> all their
> missionaries how to use KDE with Mozilla and
> Sylpheed or Kmail.  Of
> course, it depends on how their computers are setup
> as well.

I don't foresee these products being as hard to get
used to as you think, especially for people motivated
to use them.

> If all the computers that the team uses are at a
> central "base" somewhere then
> sure, setup a linux firewall and then let them run
> windows behind it.

In order for a hacker to get ahold of these computers,
they'd need a static IP and they'd need to have stored
records, so then we must assume that they are
referring to central offices with records and
information.

> Since I've never taken part in a mission like that I
> couldn't say how they do it.

Maybe you could contact them and offer a linux
solution to their problems. Wouldn't it be fun to
travel the world, meet real 'we risk our lives
everyday' missionaries, check out the inner workings
of Asian missions organizations and at the same time
be of invaluable service to God and man? Sounds like a
groovy gig to me.