[CS-FSLUG] article on current mission network news

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 17 10:13:14 CDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 12:36:40AM -0600, R. Thompson wrote:
> http://mnn.gospelcom.net/article/5913
>
> Wouldn't Linux answer both problems, security and cost for some
> situations?

Yes, I think it would solve the security problem.  However, I doubt that
missionary organizations are going to want to teach all their
missionaries how to use KDE with Mozilla and Sylpheed or Kmail.  Of
course, it depends on how their computers are setup as well.  If all the
computers that the team uses are at a central "base" somewhere then
sure, setup a linux firewall and then let them run windows behind it.
But if it is a single machine here and there then I think they would run
into the problem of lack of training actually using the machine.  Since
I've never taken part in a mission like that I couldn't say how they do
it.

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7