[CS-FSLUG] Firewall Roundtable

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Apr 5 11:58:07 CDT 2004

I was just curious to see what others were doing for home PCs for a
solution similar to what ZoneAlarm takes care of for the Windows
world. I ended up using KMyFirewall as it was simple and took care of
my needs. I'm still interested in how others do the same thing.

JSR/

Inions scripted ::

>About iptables tools.
>How about firewall builder? I haven't tried it but it seems a good
>seeing from some of the reviews and screen shots.
>http://www.fwbuilder.org
>
>There's also shorewall, albeit you will have to use this tool in text
> mode. Shorewall -> www.shorewall.net. It somehow makes iptables a
> bit
>simpler (my personal experience). Works best with Webmin.
>Webmin -> http://www.webmin.com
>
>I can help you but my experience is very limited. What exactly are
>you planning to do, have the linux box act as an Internet gateway?
>
>Sorry, I missed the previous post.
>
>Art
>

>Brian Derr wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 02:20:36PM -0500, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>>
>>>Calling all CS-FSLUGgers:
>>>I'd like to start up a discussion on how to manage a home firewall.
>>>I'm assuming that most people use iptables, perhaps with another
>tool>>to help manage that.

System Administrator
Washington Bible College/Capital Bible Seminary
http://www.bible.edu

Sound words, I know, Timothy is to use,
And old wives' fables he is to refuse
But yet grave Paul him nowhere doth forbid
The use of parables, in which lay hid
That gold, those pearls, and precious stones that were
Worth digging for, and that with greatest care.
-- From "The Author's Apology For His Book"
   "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan