[Foss-cafe] mail filtering setup protocol

Patrick Shanahan paka at wahoo.no-ip.org
Wed May 19 19:19:34 CDT 2004

* Daniel Cassidy <dan at dmdstudios.co.uk> [05-19-04 19:07]:

> Uhh, I think you totally missed the point. Which is, it is in theory
> possible to modify IMAP to allow the client to specify filter rules
> which will be implemented by the server, and that perhaps IMAP should
> be modified in such a way, and if not, perhaps a companion
> protocol/service should exist to do such a job.

Bait taken...

Puperno said:
  I didn't read any tutorial to use KMail's filtering system, my
  girlfriend could use it without reading any tutorial. And if I'm not
  mistaken that requires writting a text file, which would require sshing
  to the server, that is not simple! that's the task of an administrator,
  not a user.

> Pupeno, my personal opinion is that you should ignore the whinings of
> purists and go away and modify the IMAP protocol to your heart's
> content, create a proof-of-concept for your idea, and then if it works
> hopefully it will become popular and, as a result, a standard.

Your <personal opinion> is comparable to something else that everyone
has, but your's is apparently located between and directly above your
shoulder blades.
HOG # US1244711