[Foss-cafe] mail filtering setup protocol

Daniel Cassidy dan at dmdstudios.co.uk
Wed May 19 19:40:08 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 01:19, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> Bait taken...
>
> Puperno [sic] said:
>   I didn't read any tutorial to use KMail's filtering system, my
>   girlfriend could use it without reading any tutorial. And if I'm not
>   mistaken that requires writting a text file, which would require sshing
>   to the server, that is not simple! that's the task of an administrator,
>   not a user.

In other words:
1. Filtering POP3 mail on the client side is useful
2. Filtering POP3 mail on the client side is so easy to do with K-Mail
that even an uninformed person can do it without even reading any
instructions (if an interface is immediately usable with no instruction,
this is a sign that the interface is well designed).
3. Filtering IMAP mail on the server side is even more useful.
4. Filtering IMAP mail on the server side is comparitively difficult.
5. By introducing new features to the IMAP protocol and K-Mail, it would
be possible to setup server side filtering using exactly the same
interface used to setup client side filtering.

> > Pupeno, my personal opinion is that you should ignore the whinings of
> > purists and go away and modify the IMAP protocol to your heart's
> > content, create a proof-of-concept for your idea, and then if it works
> > hopefully it will become popular and, as a result, a standard.
>
> Your <personal opinion> is comparable to something else that everyone
> has, but your's is apparently located between and directly above your
> shoulder blades.

Your quick resort to personal insults is a clear indication that you
have nothing useful to contribute to this discussion.