[Foss-cafe] mail filtering setup protocol

Daniel Cassidy dan at dmdstudios.co.uk
Wed May 19 19:15:05 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 00:34, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> I'm sorry that I cannot help you.  Please excuse me, I am bitting my
> tongue and it hurts.  Times *are* changing.  Once, everyone who ran linux
> *was* an administrator of some degree.  I'm not sure that it should not
> be a requirement.  It's no different than understanding the necessity for
> changing the oil, rotating tires and filling the gas tank on a
> automobile.   You appear to want to use a dumb terminal and have someone
> maintain the system *for* you.

Uhh, I think you totally missed the point. Which is, it is in theory
possible to modify IMAP to allow the client to specify filter rules
which will be implemented by the server, and that perhaps IMAP should be
modified in such a way, and if not, perhaps a companion protocol/service
should exist to do such a job.

Pupeno, my personal opinion is that you should ignore the whinings of
purists and go away and modify the IMAP protocol to your heart's
content, create a proof-of-concept for your idea, and then if it works
hopefully it will become popular and, as a result, a standard.

Just as long as the modifications are openly documented, and
compatibility with the original protocol is maintained I don't see a
problem with this. It is definitely a good idea, and something I have
wanted for years.